"America...goes not abroad in search of monsters to destroy...The fundamental maxims of her policy would insensibly change from liberty to force. the frontlet upon her brows would no longer beam with the ineffable splendor of freedom and independence; but in its stead would soon be substituted an imperial diadem, flashing in false and tarnished luster the murky radiance of dominion and power. She might become the dictatress of the world: she would be no longer the ruler of her own spirit."- John Quincy Adams, 4 July 1821

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

http://www.wikio.com

(4) Comments

Day 1 - "The world has changed, and we must change with it"

Hrafnkell Haraldsson

At noon today, eight years of failed domestic and foreign policy decisions, fueled by a divisive and corrosive ideology, stepped into the pages of history.

At noon today, a new era began. The Obama Era.



I call this blog Restitutor Orbis.

RESTITUTOR ORBIS - "Restorer of the World"

The title granted to Roman emperors who had stepped into a crisis that threatened the very survival of the empire and by their actions, saved it.

Our own crisis is no less dire than that faced by Rome in the third century of the Common Era. Our nation, like Rome, is faced with a financial crisis and with multiple wars.

In this blog I will chronicle the presidency of Barack Obama on a daily basis, reflecting not only on the state of America but of the world, and Obama's influence upon both.

This journal is dedicated to a little boy, my four-year-old son, who is too young to understand the momentous changes occurring in our country, changes that will impact his life from this day forward.

I hope that someday, he can look back, and in reading these posts, gain a better understanding of the world he is stepping into.

And I hope that by putting my thoughts down on these virtual pages that I will myself gain a better understanding of the world, and of what may well be our last best chance to save America, before our nation too becomes the stuff of history books.

Is my view of Obama biased? Most certainly. Is my acclamation of Obama as a restorer premature? I do not think so. He has already restored the most precious commodity of all, and not only to the citizens of the US, but to citizens of the world: HOPE.




Bookmark and Share
4 Responses to "Day 1 - "The world has changed, and we must change with it""
Anonymous said :
January 21, 2009 at 10:51 AM
Hrafnkell,

This blog is special. It is going to be purely about politics and I'm going to enjoy reading your posts. Three cheers to President Obama!!

There is something about the words 'nations', 'nationality' and the sound and image of a canon salute, that makes one cry.

All the best to Restitutor Orbis and to President Obama.
January 21, 2009 at 12:00 PM
Thank you, Indrani. I was tired too of posting so much political stuff on what's supposed to be a religious blog. This will help keep A Heathen's Day better focused.

I cannot begin to describe how much better I feel today than yesterday. Up until it was all done, I feared something would happen. Then noon came, he was sworn in, and we had a new world. Even so, I watched the parade, praying he would be safe. It's amazing to me that everything was so peaceful.

I'm eager to hear what they're saying about Obama in India. I read a little world news this morning, and it was generally favorable, but the only thing out of India was a concern about Islamabad and terrorism, a word never mentioned by Obama in his inaugural address.
Mrs Flam said :
January 21, 2009 at 3:27 PM
I normally don't reveal any political motivation at all , but I do have a good feeling.
Anonymous said :
January 21, 2009 at 11:31 PM
Hrafnkell,

I think Obama didn't mention terrorism because it inevitably would lead the world to thinking about the spectre of Afghanistan's and Iraq's occupation; something Obama wants to distance himself from. He will have to tackle the issue walking a tightrope.

I was listening to the inaugural address and though he didn't mention the word 'terrorism' he did hint at it when he said "...and those who donot like the west..." and also "...those who bring terror...".
He's treading carefully as he should. But people like me would want him to take a bolder stand where action is concerned. A stand which is bold enough to prove to terrorists harboured by certain Islamic states that the count on their heads is not yet up and yet a stand which does not lead to an all-out war.

Indians are enthusiastic about President Obama; their only fear is that if he stops outsourcing, Indians will lose jobs. This point does not worry those who donot depend on outsourcing for a livelihood, like myself.

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts